Yes, it is quite normal to feel awkward and sometimes worry about tasks and upcoming responsibilities at work, but when that anxiety begins to control you and your professional decisions it can be a serious problem.
Left untreated it can negatively impact your life and your career in many ways such as:
- Missing opportunities for career advancement or better earning capacity.
- Harming professional relationships.
- Making you feel inadequate both at work and at home.
- Constantly feeling like you are trying to hide your weaknesses from bosses and co-workers.
- Missing out on fun events or chances to grow as a person or professional.
- Stopping you from trying new things, sharing ideas or reaching your full potential because you are afraid you will mess up or look silly.
Tips To Help Reduce Workplace Performance Anxiety
1. Recognise The Symptoms
Understand the triggers and symptoms that cause you to feel anxious is the first step to overcoming the disorder. (This article is a great start.)
2. Talk To A Trusted Boss or Co-Worker
Having someone in your workplace you can talk to about your anxiety is important and helps you feel like you are not facing it alone.
4. Practice Good Time Management
Deadline pressure is a leading cause of workplace anxiety. By planning and preparing your work ahead of deadlines you will have one less thing to worry about.
5. Ask For Help
Don’t be afraid to ask for help when you are under pressure or are uncertain of what to do. You can always return the favour next time your co-worker needs help themselves.
6. Avoid Negative Co-Workers
Sometimes we all have to work with people who don’t make us feel good for one reason or another. Try to keep your distance from these people and if it becomes a problem don’t be afraid to ask to be moved away from them permanently.
7. Give Yourself Credit
When you do something well or complete a task be sure to take the time to savour the success and congratulate yourself.
8. Leave Your Work At Work
Avoid taking your work home with you or answering work calls and emails outside of work hours. You need to be able to set boundaries and give your mind time to refresh and relax.
Get Help With Workplace Anxiety
For those wanting to perform at high levels in their employment or business we also have our pioneer program called Unstoppable You. This program may help you to break free from your limitations and beliefs that stop you from being extraordinary. This includes in your career, in your family and in your relationships with others.